Monday, March 8, 2010

... and then a miracle occurs ...

Is UI really just common sense? In some ways, yeah.  But in more ways than one, its not.  Like the doctor who made his patient fall, the UI designer often fails to see things from the user's point of view.... or maybe just his browser.

One of the most repeated suggestion today was "give clear instructions" (she said it for more than 5 of the apps).  When I had to manage little kids, I always remembered to be absolutely detailed in my instructions.  Even then, some idiotic kid will still get himself into trouble because he DIDN'T follow the instructions.

The biggest takeaway from the lesson last week was from getHelp's idiot proof step-by-step.  Instructions mingled with limited things to view.  I think that's an excellent way to "teach" people how to use apps.  Instead of having to read a "wall of text", they are guided through the process.

Unfortunately, our extension has lots to improve in this regard.  Too bad we din get any pointers from Pamela Fox :P (PLEASE GO ADD OUR EXTENSION!!!!)

Most of the time, miracles are really supposed to occur in our applications.  I guess, we just need to remember to help users find it :)

5 comments:

  1. Just remember this: Don't Make Your Users Think.

    They will thank you for this and you will probably get more users, period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your app is quite easy to use if we read and look at the screenies actually :P It's not that intuitive without reading (since I'm quite nub, so I went back to read haha), but then it's probably because it isn't something I've done before (which actually makes it pretty neat). But I do think that most people DO read the first few lines before deciding to install the app (or why'd they specifically go to the page?)! Think a bit is okay for this app la :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Prof: I think more often than not we overestimate as to what constitutes to "thinking".

    @Shannon: Haha. Don't get me wrong, I love my app. Just a little time constrain preventing me from spending more time on the help side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad we din get any pointers from Pamela Fox :P
    Aiyoh, got assignment feedback right? Ok lah, will buy some metal pointers and laser pointers for you. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would have been interesting to hear what she had to say, I guess :P

    ReplyDelete