Tuesday, February 9, 2010

best pitch in my book

it may not have been the most prestigious option to be working on for your final project, but the pitch that left the greatest impression on me was given by This Man.


how many times have you heard that "there is no future in (insert field) in singapore"?  i had my fair share from my father.  in fact, he was so adamant on his point that he almost forcefully tried to withdraw me from my CCA, with bad results as an excuse.  thankfully, i had wonderful teachers who knew much better.

so why redsport? although i'm not to keen to pursue it as a final project, i cannot help but be amazed by the passion that emitted from the guy.  with a no frills presentation, he highlighted just how much of a difference redsports made.  kudos to yanjie for trying to contextualize this for many of our foreign classmates, but as a sportsman and assistant coach myself, i knew the value of redsport to the local sports scene.

i was still in school about the time redsport started, and it got more popular when i was helping my coach.  before redsport, there was no consolidation of local school sports results and reports.  several sites had tried to do the same thing as redsport, but their execution failed and eventually they faded into the depths.  redsport is the only site that had withstood the test of time.

Mr leslie focused on what he was good at, which was basically to bring the sports story to us.  and most importantly he stayed true to his passion. I quote:
I’m not sure I can comment about that but for me, I’m driven by the need to do something meaningful for society. Telling the sports story of my fellow Singaporean makes this website worth doing for me. Without meaning, I can’t get excited about the work I do. Of course, starting is the easy part. Now is the other struggle – persevering, focusing on the next step. The other thing that works for me is just keeping things simple and executing well. There are a thousand and one ideas out there but executing well and repeatedly is the hard thing to do.

70k (was this the number? i can't remember) daily hits may not seemed much for a page, but if you think about the community who is actually bothered about local sport, its actually quite a huge number.  its one thing to follow your dreams blindly, its another thing to follow your dreams and successfully make a difference.  and can you say tell a 13 year old that redsport doesnt really make a difference in the grand scheme of things? of course you can't, to them, this is their grand scheme of things.  how could then say that redsport is not a success?

and if all the bolded phrases sound familiar, its because they are.  these few catch phrases have been repeated again and again throughout this module, whether its by prof ben, or other successful people have said.

i look forward to hearing and learning more from him in the next session we see him.

6 comments:

  1. The link is broken.

    I was impressed by Redsports too, more from the fact that it's pretty much the idea and execution of that one man (plus his programmer). His plan is focused and he knows exactly what he wants. He has a motive behind what he's doing and is visibly passionate about it. I remembered Anthony Robbins "Clarity is Power" speech when I listened to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr Jon Lew, great write-up!

    reuben

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Adhiraj: fixed it. thanks for pointing it out

    @Rben: eh why call me Mr??? lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. the thing is this lar, he is doing what he believes in. simple as that. while i agree with you in that not everyone can be a towkay, i think everyone can make a difference in their own way.

    i'm not a sportsman, but i used to see my friends in volleyball who will spend all their free time on that site, and however small it might be to an outsider like me, it made a world of a difference to others.

    and thus my point, not everyone is meant to be a towkay, cos not everyone needs to be a towkay to make a difference =P but with certainty, i know everyone can make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. how many times have you heard that "there is no future in (insert field) in singapore"?

    too many times.. sick of it! That's why we're here, not? To make a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  6. how many times have you heard that "there is no future in (insert field) in singapore"?


    On the other side of the coin, too many a times, my kids ask me "cher, do this course got future or not?" Have to blast that myth all so often. :(

    ReplyDelete